Monday, December 25, 2006

The Camel Letdown

Day 9- Monday, December 26th

Q: In America, 99% of the population eats turkey on Christmas Day. In India, Does 99% of the population eat camel on Chistmas Day?
-Nick Haywood's Biggest Fan (as measured by length of voicemail left, 1:45...pretty impressive)

A: Biggest Fan, you're an idiot. Let us skip the glaring problems in the first statement (99% of America can't even eat turkey...babies, vegetarians, people without mouths) and get right to the question. Everyone knows that half the Indian population is vegetarians and is probably repulsed by the thought.

As for the camel, it never came to pass. I walked into the dining room ready to feast on one of the ugliest creatures on earth only to find rice, porridge, and chicken. Granted, the chicken is the best food I have eaten since I have been here, but it was anti-climatic none-the-less. We are supposed to have it January 2nd, but I'm not going to hold my breath. In fact, when we mention to locals that we will be eating camel they are as amazed as we are. Holding my breath is something I should be doing though. Everyone is starting to come down with various illnesses, most of which are gastro related. One guy even received a frequent shopper card at the hospital. I don't really know how that works but is a hilarious concept. Luckily, I have been drinking water straight from the sewage river (which is simply labeled as drain on maps), so I am probably safe. Actually, I do have a fever. Hopefully, I can sleep it off tonight.

One thing is for sure. I'm not eating enough starches or carbs. Yesterday we went to visit various dealerships in the semi-local area. Because we weren't going to be around for the rice-based lunch they packed lunches for us. They contained:

1. Shredded white cheese sandwiches (To make a shredded white cheese sandwich you mix shredded white cheese with a little butter and pepper and throw it on bread. A staple of American cuisine)
2. Cold french fries
3. Potato chips
4. Fruit Cake
5. Bottled Water

As you can see, I'm not getting enough of starches and carbs. If only they would quit feeding us so much meat. We did take rickshaws to a steakhouse last night. Upon arrival we turned around and went to Dominos (where the workers wanted to shake our hands) and ate pepperoni pizza. it was normal. Well besides the cups they gave us were made from the thinnest plastic ever created. The cup was completely collapsible and i put it in my pocket when I was done.

As far as the dealership visits went, it was nice to get away from the plant. We actually drove south and the temperature was pretty warm. The distance we traveled wasn't that far, but Bangalore is located on a plateau and we were drove down toward sea level.

Justine went to China last May and re-assured us that Shanghai actually has an infrastructure and would have a great time. I was also planning on studying in Germany at GISMA (Purdue MBA satellite School) but after meeting the Europeans (German, Russian, German Canadian) that attend GISMA and are on this trip, it is very unlikely I will be going (I bet Mom is happy to hear that). After visiting dealerships with the German, I know understand why WWII took so long. Thats not meant to offend any veterans, but those guys are tenacious. He actually reminds me of the German that slowly stabs the American in Saving Private Ryan. That is what I am having to deal with.

The project is going well and will probably be finished by Friday. Friday night we are flying to Delhi to visit the Taj Mahal.

Song Recommendation- It'll All Work Out by Tom Petty

No comments: