Friday, December 22, 2006

Food Etc

Day 5- Friday, December 22

A lot of my fans back in America have been asking what the food is like here in Orient. More specifically, my fans have wondered if I was starving and emaciated because my peanut butter, trail mix, and Clif bars were all in my luggage (which we have yet to receive). The typical breakfast is an omelet, toast with jam, and black tea. The omelets are paper thin and cover the entire plate. As most everyone knows I HATE onions with every part of my body. This is why I cringe every morning when I eat my paper thin omelet that contains millions of diced onion bits, but since those 2 eggs are the only protein I get some days I just eat them and smile. Lunch is always a variation on a theme because we eat it at the plant everyday. First, you get a bunch of white rice. Second, put a porridge mixed with vegetables type sauce on top the rice. Third, grab some tortillas. Forth, mix it all together and eat. They also provide us with American-style potato chips and sandwiches (currently cheese sandwiches, previously they were tomato w/ cucumber). Because meat isn’t allowed on TVS-M property, lunch is always vegetarian. I have no real clue what I am eating, but it usually tastes reasonable. Dinner is very similar to lunch except it is made at our residence and contains meat. Again, I don’t really know what I eat except that it is rice with sauce, and as long as I don’t gage I am going to finish it. Hunger is a powerful thing, and last night I ate a beet root and onion dish. The ingredients in that would be 1)beet root and 2)onions.

The projects are going well. We meet with our mentor in the morning, then have the rest of the day to work on the project however we see fit. This usually works well for me because we can just screw around all day, producing only enough to show our project manager we worked the previous day. Do I feel bad about this? No, since the scope of the project could be completed in one week. Bob can be difficult to work with since he is an old man and is temperamental like a teenage girl. I think it’s pretty funny.

I can’t believe it is already Friday. Tomorrow, TVS-M is organizing a trip to Mysore to see a palace and go to a national park……or something. I just go with the flow. We are trying to organize a trip to see the Taj Mahal next weekend. I want to get out of Bangalore and see if the rest of the countries infrastructure is like Bangalore. I hear that because of all the money being poured into the city because of the IT companies, the city is growing faster than it can deal with. This is why the roads are so bad, there are no sidewalks, and everything is covered with dirt. It doesn’t really explain the cows though. I saw a basset hound on a roof today. Why someone keeps their pet dog (it was wearing a walking collar) on a roof, I don’t really know.

I finally finished reading Running With Scissors. I couldn’t finish that book fast enough. You would really enjoy that book if you enjoy reading graphic homosexual sex scenes that are pedophilic in nature. That is the last time I get a book because Katie says, “They just made it into a movie, its supposed to be funny.” I do not see how that book could be made into anything close to a movie.

I am planning on going to a church on Monday, so that should be an interesting experience. My choices of churches were protestant or catholic.

Song Recommendation: Bright Sunny South by Alison Krauss and Union Station

No comments: