Monday, January 08, 2007

That Just About Wraps It Up

Day 19- Thursday, January 4

Well fans, the adventure to The Orient is just about over. In less than 3 hours, the bus will be here to take us to the airport.

On Wednesday, we presented our projects to the mentors and a few vice-presidents. Bob and I did a good job, and received some good questions that I think we handled fairly well. Our project is a hot-button issue at the company, so it was good to go back and forth with the vice-presidents about our findings.

We didn’t have work on Thursday, so I tried to finish up some shopping. It was a dismal failure. If you know my mom you know that woman likes teapots and quilts. I didn’t think my chances were that good at finding an American quilt for my mom, nor getting said quilt back to the US, so I have been focusing on a teapot. The past three weeks I have been diligently searching, but could not find one non-imported teapot. I guess you could say that I am a failure. That wouldn’t too far off. I did get some good stuff (I think) for my sister and myself. I know, I know….selfish.

Thursday night we had a big send-off dinner. The dinner was at the Leela Hotel (cheapest room- $350/night) and it was pretty amazing. I am still amazed to find these pockets of excess wealth surrounded by below-poverty living conditions. The guest of honor at the dinner was the CEO of TVS. We had a lengthy discussion at how the program could be improved, and then a really nice meal. We also found out that the program was entirely funded by a $50,000 donation to Purdue that the CEO made. Apparently, he wanted the gift to be able to show quantifiable results and a learning experience from those who benefited from it. He is also a Purdue graduate. After the meal, TVS lavished us with gifts.

I had a very interesting conversation with my mentor, Karthik about his country. He said that since India had been conquered so many times in its history, the people have learned to accept things the way are. This is what leads people to see someone lying in the ditch in front of a brand new building and not think twice. Sure, it may be sad, but that’s the way it is. There are so many causes to fight for, that if people were hostile about things the country would tear itself apart.

This leads me to another point, and that is that the Indian people are some of the most peaceful people I have ever encountered. I have never once feared for my safety. The Indian people just take things the way they are, and keep on going. No use in fighting about it. I think many cultures could learn from that.

There are stills things about this country that I will never be able to get used to. The continuous honking of horns makes me want to be deaf every time I go into the street. I still have a hard time seeing men walking hand in hand or with their arms around another guy when walking down the street. This doesn’t indicate they are gay, but it isn’t socially acceptable to have a girlfriend. Most men marry at 28 or 29, so they are just really close with their male friends.
One thing that I haven’t talked about yet that drives me CRAZY is how Indians say yes. In America, we nod our head up and down to indicate we agree with something. An Indian will shake there head from left to right. Not back and forth like they are indicating no, but left to right like they are tilting their head to the right and then quickly to the left. It is really distracting to talk to someone and have their head flopping all over the place. Sometimes my brain stops functioning watching their head. This usually occurs in the middle of a sentence.

Who I consider coming back to India? Yes. Would I consider coming back to India during Christmas Break? No. Would I consider coming back to Bangalore? I would have to think long and hard about it. Would I eat camel? Of course.

Thanks for listening. I hope you enjoyed it.

Song Recommendation- La Cienega Just Smiled by Ryan Adams

No comments: