Sunday, February 24, 2008

My Friend Oscar

Here are my picks for the big awards tonight. They're listed in order of preference.
Actress in a Supporting Role
Cate Blanchett in I’m Not There
– Haven’t seen it. But she plays a dude, and that usually goes for a lot. Plus, the dude she plays is Bob Dylan. So, we have a chick playing a man in a biopic. She’s the favorite.
Amy Ryan in Gone Baby Gone – REALLY good character. People from Boston are crazy.
Ruby Dee in American Gangster – Plays the mom of the gangster. Throws some punches too.
Tilda Swinton in Michael Clayton – Pretty good character.
Saoirse Ronan in Atonement – Haven’t seen it. Can’t really say anything about it.

Actress in A Leading Role
Ellen Page in Juno – Cute character, but I have the feeling this is just her in real life. That doesn’t really make it acting .
Cate Blanchett in Elizabeth: The Golden Age – Haven’t seen it.
Julie Christie in Away From Her – Haven’t seen it.
Marion Cotillard in La Vie En Rose – Haven’t seen it.
Laura Linney in The Savages – Haven’t seen it.

Actor in a Supporting Role
Javier Bardem in No Country For Old Men – One of the creepiest characters I can remember. He should win, simply because I like his character the best. This category is so close that I think the only one who shouldn’t win is Hal Holbrook.
Tom Wilkinson in Michael Clayton – Should be on equal billing with George Clooney in Michael Clayton for the role he plays in the movie. A really good character.
Phillip Seymour Hoffman in Charlie Wilson’s War – Plays the ying to Tom Hank’s yang. Great character played well by a great actor.
Casey Afflek in The Assassination of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford – He plays Robert Ford in the movie. And, he plays the character well. Not better than Wilkinson or Seymour Hoffman though.
Hal Holbrook in Into The Wild – Plays the old man in the movie. You know, the guy who teaches the you young boy about the world.

Actor in a Leading Role
Daniel Day-Lewis in There Will Be Blood – I really, really like this character. Similar to his Bill The Butcher character in Gangs of New York. Well similar to the character in that they are both super creepy.
George Clooney in Michael Clayton – I feel like this character wasn’t that much of a stretch for Clooney. It’s very Clooney , just without the humor.
Viggo Mortensen in Eastern Promises – He plays a Russian. And he has a knife fight in a bath house while naked. There are just better characters.
Tommy Lee Jones in In The Valley of Elah – Makes the movie go. I know this was supposed to be his big anti-war statement. The very last scene of the movie is Jones raising a flag, and I remember thinking, “That wasn’t an antiwar movie. “ Then you see the flag and it’s upside down. Then I remember thinking, “That’s just dumb.”
Johnny Deep in Sweeney Todd the Demon Barber of Fleet Street – I hate musicals. I bet it’s a dark character though.

Emile Hirsch in Into The Wild – Should be up for this award. In fact, either him or Day-Lewis should win this award. He almost made me cry. Almost.

Best Picture
No Country For Old Men – Sara hated this movie. I loved it. It’s really dark. Even the humor is dark.
There Will Be Blood – I wouldn’t be upset if this one instead of No Country, but I don’t think it should.
Juno –Probably didn’t live up to the hype that it received, but that’s probably more to the fact that there was too much hype. It was a pretty good movie though. Michael Cera is so awkward that I can’t help but love his characters.
Michael Clayton – A really good movie. I wouldn’t say a great one. I think I saw this and American Gangster on back to back nights and liked American Gangster more.
Atonement – Haven’t see it. But, someone told me they fell asleep during a war scene. That’s all I need to know. Eric told me it wasn’t bad, but I could tell he didn’t really mean that.

1 comment:

Pat R said...

Atonement was pretty good; it looked and felt a lot like Pride and Prejudice… come to think of it, both movies have the same director, leading lady, both are based on books and both take place in England