Thursday, May 31, 2007

Damien Rice and Gigi

Well, it's Summer. This of course means it is concert season. After eliminating Bonnaroo from the schedule because of their inability to attract quality bands this year, there is some slack to pick up to meet my stringent concert quotas. I am trying my best. In the preceding post, we talked about seeing the highly, talented Ryan Adams and since then I have seen the John Butler Trio (who I consider the best guitarist on the planet....don't believe me, find a version of Oceans on youtube.com), a solo show by My Morning Jacket frontman Jim James, and the surprisingly good Sarah Elizabeth Whitehead. Sara and I also went to see Damien Rice at The Palace. The Louisville Palace is easily my favorite venue. Not only is the decor unlike any other theatre, but the acoustics are unbelievable. To prove this point, Mr. Rice played Cannonball (my favorite song of his) with his guitar unplugged and his mic turned off. There was dead silence as 4000 people listened to an incredible version of the song. It was very impressive.

I was talking to Gigi (who you can probably guess has to be a grandma by her name) over Memorial Day weekend about my internship this summer at Humana. I was telling her how I worked for a group that supported the call center (there will be more on this in another post, but I am giving you the facts for the story) and she asked how workers at the call center knew all the answers. I explained that our call center has a program much like Google, that they search internally for answers, many questions are generally the same in nature, and that if someone searches for an answer enough times they know the answer. I could tell she was still perplexed, and the reason was that she thought call centers there were only a few call centers in the world. Meaning that call centers were staffed by highly intelligent people who answered questions on any subject. They might answer a question about Humana, then answer a call dealing with Peter Pan peanut better, and then tell someone the best way to program their VCR. My uncles and i definitely laughed at her, but it was all in good fun though. Gigi surprises me everytime we hang out.

No comments: