Sunday, May 20, 2007

WFPK Listener Appreciation Concert


Tonight was without question the most bizarre concert I have had the pleasure of attending. In fact, it was so bizarre it was entertaining. In fact, the last 35 minutes was the only bizarre part.

Every year the local, independent radio station (WFPK) has a listener appreciation event. It is two nights of great bands for $20 a night. This year the Friday night line-up was Martin Sexton, Tom Morello, Moe, Keller Williams, and Angelique Kidjo. The far-superior Saturday night line-up was Paula Cole, Charlie Louvin, Suzanne Vega, Vietnam, and Ryan Adams. I didn't go to the Friday show because I'm not really into the way hippies (or the weed they smoke) smell, but I heard it was a good time. In all honesty though, I would have liked to have seen Tom Morello (he is now under the name, The Nightwatchman) and Angelique Kidjo (Sarah Drake won't stop raving). The fact that Ryan Adams was going to be there Saturday meant that the other 4 acts could have been four marching bands and I would have still went. Unfortunately, the fact that Ryan Adams was going to be there caused the show to sell out before I was able to get tickets. Luckily, they released more the day of the show and I was able to go. In fact, I told Aaron at lunch on Friday that I would have paid $50 to see Ryan Adams by himself, and that came true as I did pay $50 for 2 tickets (fees of course) and the person I was supposed to go with backed out. So I went and saw Ryan Adams by myself.

Paula Cole was actually quite enjoyable. She sounds good live but is horribly awkward on stage. Oh yeah, her last song was a Dolly Parton cover where she beat-boxed at the end. Wasn't expecting that. Charlie Louvin is old-time country. He had his first country hit in 1955 and is 80. He is hilarious on stage. They also mentioned he was going to be playing Bonnaroo this year. Suzanne Vega was good too. The theme of her new cd is New York, so I got tired of hearing about the city, but other than that I have no complaints. Well, besides being at the concert by myself. Vietnam was up next. They look like homeless people but sound like music gold. Ok, not music gold, but they rocked hard and had hilarious lyrics ("it's hard to give head when your almost dead" was on of the cleaner lyrics). Aaron showed up in the middle of the Vietnam set so I didn't have to sit by myself. Also, all the old people left.

Next up was Ryan Adams & The Cardinals. Apparently, Ryan recently had a skateboarding accident and was reduced to just a vocalist. No worries though, the band could handle it. Ryan and the band sounded unbelievable. Every bit as good as they do on the records but like I said at the beginning, it was just bizarre. Imagine if you will, the house lights being dimmed so the band can come out, but only being brought up enough for Ryan to be able to read lyrics off sheet music (I didn't recognize but one song.....meaning the rest were off the upcoming album and he doesn't know the words yet). Ryan was also wearing sunglasses, a hoodie with the hood up, and what appeared to be a 1920's leather aviator cap under the hood) and looked away from the crowd between songs. Then after playing Down In A Hole by Alice In Chains (30 minutes into their set), Ryan says "It was great to be part of the line-up. Thanks." Then he jumps off his chair and the entire band scatters off stage (Much like The Wonders do in That Thing You Do). I wasn't expecting a long set, 1 hour at the most. Like I said, they sounded great but it was bizarre. It was a really memorable, unique show. Adding to the intrigue is the fact that a busker was wearing the same white sunglasses before the show. Was it a fan? Was it a friend?Was it Ryan and he had to hide the way he looks so he could busk more? The picture at the top is what he looked like tonight (The pic wasn't taken by me). Bizarre.



Song Recommendation: Two by Ryan Adams & The Cardinals

No comments: