Tuesday, May 01, 2007

A School Year In Review

You know life is good when you are sitting on your porch listening to a live version of Brittney Spears' Toxic as played by Nickel Creek (I don't know if the hilarity comes from Nickel Creek playing a Brittney Spears song, or imagining Chris Thile in the Toxic video). If you wanna check it out, just go to http://www.myspace.com/nickelcreek. Hurry, I'll wait.

What a year it has been. Although undergrad is less than one year in my past, it seems to be a distant memory. I wonder if that is what all of life is like. Friends move away, new friends take their place, and all is left to memory. I assume it will be like this, only eventually friends will be replaced by children who you know will be your friend for at least 18 years. It isn't like it's not sad, because in a way it is, but it is just the way it is. As hard as you try, you can't stay meaningfully connected to everyone in your past.

So I will attempt to wrap these past 9 months in bullet format.
  • The first four months (August to December) are nothing less than a blur of work and stress. I developed a constant shake in my hands that was scary at best.
  • The fifth month was spent in India (which you can read about below), and that did not help the stress level one bit.
  • The sixth and seventh months were a bit less stressful than the first four, with a little less work load and a lot more fun. The shaking went away. Hurray. I ended up going on trips to Colorado for a case competition (we made the finals, top 5 out of 43) and Oregon for Spring Break. I wasn't ever able to post about Oregon because 4 projects were due the first week back, but it can be agreed that it was pretty sweet.
  • The eighth and nineth months were exponentially less stressful than the first 7th and I was able to see my friends again. I remember the shock when I called some friends up on a weeknight and asked if they wanted to hang out for awhile. I secured an internship at Humana in Louisville. It is about the best situation possible. The pay is good and they are paying for a furnished apartment in Louisville. Sweet. The weather turned beautiful. Doug, Scott, Snap, and Josh came for Grand Prix and madness ensued.

Who knows what this summer will hold. I hope to do some hiking, play some competitive ultimate, and send a lot of time on the water. (A girl is walking down the street crying and complaining into her phone....her final must have not went so well.....no comment).

No comments: