Sunday, October 21, 2007

A Law For Everything

In the not too distant past I was driving down to Bloomington to visit a young lady known by the name of Sara. The visit isn't that important within the context of the story because this discussion centers around the actual drive. Since the downfall of WTTS, more specifically since they have become enamored with poor 80's and early 90's rock, the radio options on the trip from Lafayette to Bloomington is ESPN or NPR and local radio. Since you lose ESPN 5 miles outside of Lafayette and NPR somewhere between Indy and Btown (before regaining it once again), you're only option is the Monroe County radio. SO, I'm driving and listening to these fellas debate a proposed Bloomington law that will make it illegal for people to smoke in cars when kids under the age of 13 are also in the car (mind you, there is also a Bloomington law in which kids can be ticketed for not wearing a bicycle helmet). It seemed that most of the people who were calling in, as well as the commentators, agreed that this law was pretty dumb. I'm glad. My dining experience is much more pleasant when the restaurant is non-smoking, it will be nice to wear a jacket to the bars this winter, and I'm glad people have to stand far away from buildings on campus to smoke. But those are all public places. Those aren't someones personnel possessions. People have every right do smoke in their cars. My grandpa smoked in the car with my dad and uncles in their. They turned out alright. Andrew's dad smoked him the car (maybe not, Andrew's dad loves his vehicles) with him in there and he turned out alright. In fact, I bet the healthy people who wrote this absurd law rode around in cars with their smoker parents. For reference, Sara supports this law. She also pretends she is super liberal. She is also dumb.

I've been busy grading papers all weekend. It's been pretty boring, and I often feel bad for giving low grades, but I guess that's my job. Actually, I don't feel bad giving low grades if I can tell that the person did not try. That's just stupid. Especially since the students are Executive MBA's. That means they are executives of a company somewhere. I know they know how to work hard. I'm also talking to Matt about working part-time at Humana. I only have three classes this module, plus a project with Caterpiller.

I've been going to Starbuck's everyday for the past two weeks. Those guys are good. Right now they are in the middle of a promotion with iTunes in which you get a free, different download everyday. Bob Dylan, Herbie Hancock, Alice Smith, Rogue Wave, Band of Horse, all kinds of stuff. A different artist everyday. So, I love music. I walk in, get a medium coffee ($1.96), and get a free song, drink the coffee, stay up all night wishing I hadn't drank the coffee and that I could fall asleep. I'm cool with that. Songs on iTunes are usually $.99. So I'm down with $.97 coffee. (I know it's not really like that but I can at least lie to myself). It's fun, you never know what artist you're going to get.

Song Recommedation - Cannonball by Damien Rice

2 comments:

Adam said...

The kids are helpless.

I also propose a law prohibiting laptop bags in overhead compartments. Common courtesy does not exist with business travelers. Just ask my arch-nemesis of Southwest flights from Oklahoma City to Kansas City on Thursday afternoons.

Nick Haywood said...

Sure the kids are helpless, but are we going to make laws that make it illegal for parents to cook unhealthy food for kids under the age of 13? Are we going to make laws that make it illegal to cut a kids hair a certain way so that he gets beat up at school? I just think its a slippery slope that you don't want to do down.