Tuesday, October 16, 2007

al-Qaeda and Nickel Creek

So, I've been reading the book The Looming Tower while on break. It was written by Lawerence Wright and won a Pulitzer Prize. Anyway, the book is about the history of al-Qaeda (if you don't know who these guys are, they have a wikipedia page, although you will probably get put on terrorist watch lists for going to it) and the events leading to 9/11. When I say the events leading to 9/11, I mean all the way back to the childhood of Osama bin Ladin's dad. Over the weekend I also went and saw The Kingdom, which is about Saudi Arabia and deals with many of the same issues as The Looming Tower (the bin Ladin family is Yemini by Osama was raised in Saudi Arabia). The thing that strikes me most about this whole al-Qaeda issue is that everything thinks what they are doing is right, and that it is what God wants. Granted that some of the issues have been twisted by al-Qaeda to fit their needs, but there is no way you can stop someone who thinks that God wants them to do something, and they truly believe in that God. What a mess.

On to other not so tragic issues. I was able to snag a pair of tickets to Nickel Creek's last show. Turns out that I'm not the failure I previously suspected that I was.

I was having a discussion last week with Long Steve about Entrepreneurship. Long Steve was saying that Entrepreneurship was his major in college. I told him that that was dumb. You can't teach someone to be an entrepreneur. You can't say, "Here, I am going to teach you how to come up with a good idea!!" That's impossible. He agreed. His point was that what he learned in college was how to run a small business. How to get capital. How to deal with new companies. This makes much more sense to me. These are good skills to learn since almost everything students learn in business school is focused on taking an established position in an established company. So we agreed that the term Entrepreneurship was some lame marketing word. I mean yea, it sounds way cooler than Small Business Management, and implies the ability to get rich with a great idea but I still don't like the term.

I just picked up the new Iron & Wine cd and Ryan Adam's Cold Roses. Both of them a grade A and a must buy in my book.

Song Recommendation - Ah Mary by Grace Potter & The Nocturnals

No comments: