Thursday, January 03, 2008

Best Album of 2007

Paste Magazine recently released their Top 100 Albums of 2007. Of the albums on the list, the ones I purchased (yes, purchased, since I don't like to download music) were:

1. The National - Boxer
2. Arcade Fire - Neon Bible
3. Bruce Springsteen - Magic
8. Modest Mouse - We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank
10. Iron & Wine - The Shepherd's Dog
11. Radiohead - In Rainbows
12. Avett Brothers - Emotionalism
16. Ryan Adams - Easy Tiger
24. Patty Griffin - Children Running Through
29. Spoon - Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga
32. Andrew Bird - Armchair Apocrypha

An editorial (Issue 38, page 14) that appeared in the magazine (but I couldn't find online) by Paste Editor, Josh Jackson, made the point that music is personal and everyone responds to different albums different ways. As an example, the reviewer who reviewed Boxer when it was released gave it 3 stars (of 5). 6 months later it is the album of the year. Interesting. He also made the point that there is battle royal between the staffers to make sure their favorite album is at the top of the list. All this is being said so that I have justification to rank my top 10 albums of the year. And because I get confused about what albums are released in what year, I'm going to re-rank the above albums.

1. Ryan Adams - Easy Tiger
2. Iron & Wine - The Shepherd's Dog
3. Arcade Fire - Neon Bible
4. JJ Grey & Mofro - Country Ghetto
5. Grace Potter & The Nocturnals - This Is Somewhere
6. Avett Brothers - Emotionalism
7. John Butler Trio - Grand National
8. Andrew Bird - Armchair Apocrypha
9. Spoon - Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga
10. Modest Mouse - We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank

I had to go to a listen off between Modest Mouse and Bruce Springsteen, but that's the way it turned out. Dashboard and Fire It Up were just to catchy to be ignored. I'm fairly confident about the order of my top-5 but after that I'm not so confident in the order. But it's my list, so whatever. As you can see, I also remembered a few of my other favorites. How were Grace Potter, JBT, and JJ Grey not on the list?

Song Recommendation - Sweet Illusions by Ryan Adams & The Cardinals

No comments: