Sunday, January 20, 2008

The Tallest of Southern Indiana Mountains

Last night, Sarah, Sarah, Sara, Cate, Ben, Aaron (in bright neon green jacket) and I took to the slopes of Paoli Peaks for a litte midnight skiing action. Luckily we decided to do it on the coldest night of the year. I was dreading the experience because of the price and the cold, but as it turned out, it was cheaper than reported AND it wasn't that cold. Aaron was a natural on the slopes while Cate and Sara spent the night learning the snowboard. I think they might be ready for the X-Games. Not X-Games 12 but X-Games 13. If I had to guess. Only problem I had is that because it wasn't a mountain the ratio to ski time/lift-time wasn't very favorable. It's a good place to go if it is you're learning or re-learning. Sara can't move today.

Alison Krauss and Robert Plant will be starting their the tour in support of their Raising Sands album together with a performance at The Louisville Palace. This presents quite a conundrum**. You can't find a more star-filled concert than one involving Krauss and Plant AND they are performing at the incredible Louisville Palace. The dilemma comes from the fact that I think their critically-acclaimed CD is really bad. In fact, I'm beginning to think that I don't like Krauss in anything other than straight blugrass. They will apparently be playing songs from throughout their careers, so that's a plus. But I just don't think I want to go. I will hate every minute that I am not there.

In other concert news, Ben Folds is coming to Purdue. Another poor choice, but I'm sure the freshman will like him.

In other concerts news, Dierks Bentley is coming to Purdue. As he was one of my favorites from last year, I'm pretty happy about that. I hope I get some good tickets. He is wild on stage

**Coincidently, one of my favorite movie exchanges is from Cold Mountain (theme song -You Are My Ain True Love by Alison Krauss) when Boise and Inman are about to shoot each other (sorry if you haven't seen the movie, but you've had four years) and Boise uses the word conundrum in their exchange.

Inman: I hope so. Look, how old are you? Give me your gun and ride home, I'm done fighting. I'm sick of it.
Bosie: I give you my gun and you'll shoot me dead.
Inman: I will not shoot you, but nor am I walking down that mountain looking over my shoulder for you.
Bosie: That's what you call a conundrum. I tell you what I've got on my side.
Inman: What have you got on your side?
Bosie: The confidence of youth.

Song Recommendation - Let It Ride by Ryan Adams & The Cardinals

(Soon to just be The Cardinals)

No comments: