Thursday, February 21, 2008

Another Day, Another Birthday

Tuesday was my birthday. The 24th of my life. Big props go out to Mama Haywood for coming through and getting through the birth process back in 1984. I couldn't have done it without you. I certainly didn't do anything exciting. Went to class, went to meetings, watch Purdue let IU win, just the normal here and there of life. The family and I and Sara celebrated on Sunday with lunch at PF Chang's and Ice Cream Cake and Daytona 500. What can I say, we like to party.

One of the present's Sara got me was a subscription to Netflix (which is amazing on her part because I asked for it for Christmas but didn't get it, she didn't even know I wanted it). Now, I've been skeptical about Netflix and its utility for a while. I watch a lot of movies and TV shows because I don't get any television stations, and I kept debating on whether I wanted it or not. The thing that changed my mind about renting movies was when I went to rent a movie and they charged me like 4 bucks. 4 bucks for 2 hours of fun. No thank you. I can drive across the street and get one from the RedBox at McDonalds for $1. That is, if they aren't all gone. Well, after having it for 3 days I love it. For one, there are a good number of movies that you can just watch streaming over the internet. You don't even have to wait the 1 day it takes to receive them in the mail. SWEET. Second, they have this feature where you rate movies that you've seen and they make recommendations based on that. The more ratings you make, the more accurate the recommendations become. I'll rate a bunch of movies, and then it will make a recommendation and it'll be a movie I really like. Good stuff.

One of the shows I've been watching over the internet is a Showtime show called Dexter. Dexter is the story of a serial killer who works for the police department down in Miami. The show has the best of both worlds. It's a crime drama (Dexter is infatuated with blood, and as such is a forensic expert) in the mode of CSI with clues and crimes and bad people and good people. But it's also creepy (in the mode of a nightmare) because the main character kills at least one criminal in every show. How can you not love that?

Speaking of nightmares. Sara told me that she recently had a dream about being pregnant (don't worry, it wasn't mine.....or maybe that means I should be worried). Except it wasn't a dream. It was a nightmare. Why was it a nightmare? Because she wasn't taking baby vitamins. She called it her "scariest dream ever." I told her that my scariest dream ever happens every day when I wake up and realize that she and I are still dating. She wasn't too happy about that. I thought it was funny.

My cast got some snow water in it walking from my house to the car, and so I had to use a blow dryer to dry it out. Good news. It's dry. Bad news. Based on the smell, my leg is rotting inside the cast. I also developed a new sleeping move. Instead of the dead frog, I've been going with the upside down waterslide. It's very similar to normal sleeping on your belly, but you cross your feet at the ankles.

Song Recommendation - Pearls On A String by Ryan Adams & The Cardinals

2 comments:

Bob Caswell said...

Nick, glad to see you've seen the light. Email me if you want to be friends on Netflix. If not, no worries, I'll just be grossly offended is all...

By the way, I didn't realize I could delete my own comments on your blog. I thought I'd experiment. Looks like it leaves a trail, though.

Nick Haywood said...

Yes Bob, but I have the golden Delete button to solve all your problems.

Hey, why don't you get Paul under control over on your website. I was going to post a comment about his PC sunk cost (and it was going to be from Lynda Thoman to boot) but then there were like 70 posts. Sheesh. Ruining my funny cost accounting joke.