Friday, February 01, 2008

I Feel Like Barbaro

Hour 28 of this cast on my left leg. It has been a tough 28 hours. Even though my leg is in the same condition it was in 1 minute prior to getting my cast on, once I got it on I felt like it was broken. I feel like I have to be super protective of it. Even though, it is fine. This is just procautionary. Sleeping with it sucks. Going up and down the stairs with it sucks. Explaining the story really sucks (mainly because it isn't that exciting). But, like Micheal Scott when he George Foreman-ed (I used that as a verb) his leg I will be a beacon of hope for the disabled. Since I've gotten this cast, I've did my own laundry. I've driven myself to Bloomington. I WILL go to the MBA Gala and cut a rug on the dancefloor. I will show people with disableness that they too can go to dances with super expensive tickets (where none of the money goes to charity, like the Purdue Gala) and perform on the dance floor. I will be there hope.

I was talking to the doctor (who works Tuesday through Friday in the afternoon) about Las Vegas, and I made the comment that I previously went to Vegas when I was 12, and that I didn't fully understand just what they were selling. Consequently, we began to talk about the seven deadly sins. He told me he was always able to remember the seven sins because of Gilligan's Island, and that all the characters protrayed one of the sins. I told him I remembered them a much darker way (the movie Seven, which is super creepy), but for your enjoyment:

Gilligan - Gluttony
The Skipper - Anger
Thurston Howell - Greed
Mrs. Howell - Sloth
Ginger - Lust
The Professor - Pride
Mary Ann - Envy (wanted to be Ginger)

Watch the show again, you'll see.

Sorry Sara, the rest of this one isn't as light and airy as you would probably like. Congrats on the internship with Eli Lilly in Switzerland though. That goes in the category of super sweet.

I've been watching this VH1 show The Drug Years and aside from being on a station with Rock of Love and America's Next Top Model, it's a pretty fantastic educational special. One of the segments was about cocaine. So, as the story goes, cocaine can be turned into two super-potent forms. Freebase (for the rich) or crack (for the poor). Now, what's interesting is that when crack hit the streets the show claims that this is the first time that the ghetto started to go downhill. Because most ghetto families are matriarchial (without a father) when mothers started using this cheap, new drug no one was around to raise the family. It also was the first time drug dealers started making REAL money. Consequently, they started buying guns. Consequently, they started killing each other. Consequently, that was the start of gang violence. Ronald Reagan also started the "Just Say No" campaign about this time. The interesting part, is that it focused on the ghetto and the effect that cocaine was having there. In reality, 75% of the cocaine users of that time were white. Super interesting to think about.

Song Recommendation - Shake What Yo Mama Gave You by North Mississippi Allstars

No comments: