Sunday, May 13, 2007

St. Lunatics

Andrew, Clint, Fox and I went to St. Louis on Wednesday to see the Cardinals play. I know what your thinking, and it is what everyone else has said when I told them we went to St. Louis (5 hour drive) to watch a baseball game. "Why?" That is a simple question to answer, "The tickets were free." So yea, Andrew's brother secured the company seats for us. They were in left field about 3 rows up and were padded. There was also an air conditioned bar/concession area and bathrooms that only our section was allowed to use. Sweet. The new Busch Stadium is pretty nice and all the seats seem to be close to the action. Being that the Cardinals are owned by the Busch family (of Anheuser-Busch fame) they really push beer at the games. There would literally be 3 beer vendors fighting over a section of 30 people. And to think, when we went to Wrigley earlier this year David had to wait 10 minutes to get his Old Style (why he wanted to drink Old Style is a different matter altogether....apparently Old is a marketing word for Gross). The game was enjoyable, the umpire blew a call at the plate that went in the Cardinals favor (they won 9-2 but that play changed the course of the game), and the only real complaint is that Cardinals fans go nuts every time Pujols hits a pop fly (the guy could hit a pop fly to the pitcher and they would think it was going out).

Being that St. Louis is on the Mississippi River (no matter what Clint thinks), the situation correlates well to a recent conversation I had. So the conversation started like this, " You can't believe anything Nick says because he is a liar." Wow, thanks...thats nice of you, but probably a true statement if one takes the literal definition (www.dictionary.com) of "lie". The problem I have with that statement is that it implies that when I "lie" I am doing so with the intention to decieve in a malicious way, and I don't think that's the case. Many times I "lie" because I get bored, just want to see how people react, or am being sarcastic. An example would be someone asking if I know where Beth went on Friday night, and me saying "I think she went to Jake's and had a few drinks." Now, if the person is asking me about Beth, they obviously know Beth. If they know Beth, they obviously know that she doesn't go to bars, nor is she going to be having a few drinks. So, did I lie. Yes. Did harm anyone. No. The point I am making is that these "lies" are nothing more than fictional stories. I don't think anyone calls Mark Twain a writer for telling fictional stories (there is the Mississippi River connection). I don't really see the difference. Do I need to write my "lies" on a piece of paper before saying them, does that make it ok?

A shout out to Schwartz (kevinschwartzenberg.blogspot.com) for giving me a shout-out on his travel blog.

Song Recommendation - Imitosis by Andrew Bird

No comments: